We have an adventure day coming up soon.
There hasn’t been a ton of winter Larping lately, and after our first adventure day in January it occurred to me not everyone has experience. So here we are. I’ve created a few points to follow to help you get through your first event.
- Keep Dry. Good boots and a change of socks are a must. If you’re in an area with snow (such as Michigan). You might even consider a few more pairs of pants than normal. Once that water gets into your costume it’s going to continue to ensure you have a bad time.
- Layers. The best part about Larp costumes is they generally look better with layers. If you don’t have a lot of Larp costuming, then layer regular clothes under your costume. I find a pair of pajama pants under my normal pants goes a long way. I always wear underarmor and at least one more long sleeve shirt. This is also a good time to pull out cloaks to keep your body warm. Also, while not really in period most people won’t notice strechy gloves on you. Get a pair and keep your hands warm. In the Alliance style of fighting, they’re already going to get hit some, the cold will only make them feel more raw.
- Find a hat. Not everyone likes to wear head gear. I know I don’t when it’s warmer. But, your ears get cold fast. So any way to cover them up will go a long way.
- Know your body. If you’re outside fighting a lot you might not feel cold. But, make sure you know where there’s a place to go to warm up. This is often a tavern. If you’ve spent some time outside playing the game, make sure to spend sometime inside. Enjoy a hot beverage. This is a good chance to get into some roleplaying anyways.
- Running through snow is exhausting. If you play a game with physical combat, that means you’re going to be moving around through snow. On top of it being cold, it’s more work to move. Keep that in mind as between the cold and the exertion you’re going to get tired a lot faster.
- Keep moving! Exerting yourself will keep you warmer.
- Remember Larping is about enjoying yourself. If the winter is making Larping particularly unfun, don’t forget that you don’t need to be there. Winter is a good time to stay in. Being out in the elements isn’t for everyone and that’s ok.
- Freezing temperatures affects your props. Latex weapons lose a lot of their give. Foam weapons can get wet and freeze if you aren’t careful. Keep this in mind when you’re swinging them around. Makeup can be harder to apply and/or ruined in freezing temperatures. Freezing will ruin liquid latex, so try to keep that in a warm place.
- Be more careful about your footing. If you’re fighting on ice and snow can be super slippery. It’s not worth winning a fight if you hurt yourself. LARP boots often don’t have great grips. So try to be aware of what you’re standing on so you don’t end up slipping in combat.